The Family Advocacy Committee does not endorse or recommend a specific resource. This list is simply for your convenience and is not intended to be a complete list of all resources.
- UNLV Graduate Access Childcare Scholarship: ($150-$2500 depending on documented need and expenses) http://graduatecollege.unlv.edu/financing/scholarships.html
UNLV Graduate College provides a Graduate Student Access Childcare Scholarship program for the academic year of 2014-2015 in an effort to offer competitive, need-based scholarship funding to admitted/enrolled graduate students with young dependents. Graduate students must have documented financial need through the FAFSA. This scholarship is available on a highly competitive basis to graduate students with child dependents who pay for professional daycare or childcare in order to attend graduate school and pursue their graduate research.
- UNLV Center for Individual, Couple and Family Counseling: http://www.unlv.edu/cicfc The Center serves as a premier training facility for the UNLV Marriage and Family Therapy Program and offers therapy services free of charge to UNLV students and a discounted rate to UNLV faculty and staff.
- UNLV Nutrition Center http://www.unlv.edu/kns/nutrition-center The UNLV Nutrition Center, located in the Bigelow Health Sciences (BHS) building, room 212, provides a positive environment for faculty, staff, students, and members of the community to receive evidence-based nutrition education.
- Well Rounded Mama: http://www.wellroundedmomma.com/
Well Rounded Momma (WRM) has been empowering women through service and education since 2007. We are dedicated to offering women mind & body awareness during the transition to motherhood. We take a holistic and fact based approach to childbirth and wellness services.
- Family to Family Connection: http://www.family2familylv.org/
Through parent education and community networking, Family to Family empowers and supports families to provide a safe and nurturing environment for their children.
- Single and Parenting: http://www.singleandparenting.org/
If you’re a single parent, you’re probably tired, overwhelmed and feeling a bit underappreciated. That’s why we created Single & Parenting groups—to share tips and parenting wisdom that will help you find rest, hope and encouragement. There is also a local group in Las Vegas.
- Barbara Greenspun Women’s Center: http://www.dignityhealth.org/las-vegas/facilities/womenscare-centers
The Barbara Greenspun Women’s Care Centers of Excellence have embraced men and women of all ages since 1998, encouraging them in their roles as fathers and mothers, sons and daughters, caregivers and friends, through multiple healthcare programs. A few of the programs offered by Barbara Greenspun Women’s Centers include breastfeeding support and pump rentals; exercise and fitness programs; family education and many more.For a full listing of programs and more information about the Barbara Greenspun Women’s Care Centers of Excellence and their services, please call (702) 616-4900.
- Breastfeeding Coalition: http://www.snvbreastfeeding.org/
The Southern Nevada Breastfeeding Coalition is a group of professionals in the lactation field, including doctors, nurses, lactation consultants, La Leche League leaders, and others working to help support breastfeeding mothers in Southern Nevada. Breastfeeding Coalition’s mission is to inspire, educate and build community support to make breastfeeding the norm for infant feeding in Nevada.The website includes information about breastfeeding for parents, healthcare providers and employers as well as upcoming events. For more information, contact Breastfeeding Coalition at email@example.com.
- We are Family: https://www.facebook.com/WeAreFamilyLVGroup/info?tab=page_info
We Are Family is a local organization designed to meet the needs of LGBT families in Southern Nevada. It is our goal to provide a convenient way to connect to other LGBT parents, soon to be parents, to meet new friends and build our community by offering fun and educational events to families from similar backgrounds.
- Kid to Kid Store: http://kidtokid.com/summerlin/
Kid to Kid buys and sells clothes, toys and gear your kids outgrow. Prices of Kid to Kid items are often up to 70% off retail prices. Have a closet full of outgrown clothes or baby gear, Kid to Kid will buy them for cash or store credit.
- As they Grow: http://astheygrowsale.com/
As They Grow is the Largest & Longest-Running Kids’ Consignment Sale in Las Vegas.As They Grow, holds a spring & fall sale in both Summerlin & Henderson – for a total of 4 sale events per year. They make turning your kids clutter into cash easy. They do all the advertising, set -up, selling and clean-up at a large event and mail you a check afterwards. Part of the mission of Kid to Kid is to provide quality baby & children’s goods to families all under one, organized roof – for a fraction of retail.
- Gay and Lesbian Center of Southern Nevada: http://www.thecenterlv.org/
The Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Southern Nevada, a community-based organization, supports and promotes activities directed at furthering the well-being, positive image, and human rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community, its allies, and low to moderate income residents in Southern Nevada.
- NEIS (Easter Seals): http://www.easterseals.com/nevada/
Easter Seals has been helping individuals with disabilities and special needs, and their families, live better lives for nearly 100 years. From child development centers to physical rehabilitation and job training for people with disabilities, Easter Seals offers a variety of services to help people with disabilities address life’s challenges and achieve personal goals.Easter Seals offers help, hope and answers to more than a million children and adults living with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other disabilities or special needs and their families each year. Each center provides exceptional services that are individualized, innovative, family-focused and tailored to meet specific needs of the particular community served.
Primary Easter Seals services include:
Employment & Training
Adult & Senior Services
Camping & Recreation
- Department of Health and Human Services Nevada Division of Public & Behavioral Health (Formerly the Nevada State Health Division):
Early Intervention Programs provided by the state of Nevada’s Department of Health and Human Services.If you are concerned about your child’s development, the first step is to have your child referred for evaluation and assessment. You can refer your child directly to an Early Intervention program or you can have your child’s physician or another professional make the referral for you. You will be assigned a service coordinator who will help you through the process.
Statewide call: 1-800-522-0066
- Vegas Family Events: http://vegasfamilyevents.com/
Look no further than the Vegas Family Events & magazine for local family events. The website provides a local family calendar as well as kid business directory. The website also posts information about story times, camps, classes, and kid events.
- Olive Crest: http://olivecrest.org/
Olive Crest is dedicated to Preventing child abuse, to Treating and Educating at-risk children and to Preserving the family… “One Life at a Time.”® Olive Crest Family Resource Center is designated to provide services to families in the North Las Vegas area. Services provided include case management, support, assistance with basic needs (food, clothing, baby items, household items), application assistance (Housing, Welfare, Medicaid, Energy Assistance), and information and referrals for individuals and families in need of assistance in accessing services. Self-referrals are welcome.